Sunday 3 October 2010

The Very Beginning

Before I start ranting about the current PopArt/Designer Toys stuff, I would like to show you the toys that I grew up with. There were the usual cars, cuddly soft toys, Lego etc... and here are some that survived my mum's great purge, which will sit proudly as the elders of my toy shrine.

Sesame Street
Fisher Price Sesame Street (part of a playhouse set)

Happy Mondays
Smurfs

六神合体ゴッドマーズ
超合金 Chogokin Robots (in photo: Godmars sets)

I was also a Nintendo kid growing up in the Far East, so game character merchandises eventually shaped part of my toy buying habit. Also I am pretty sure that all the hours of Japanese cartoon watching and games playing are what is fueling my twisted imaginations for the photos that you see on my Flickr photostream today. Thank you Akira Toriyama & Shigeru Miyamoto san!

The Wonder Years (80s) - What Mario and Princess Peach do in their spare time?
my first electronic game - LION Game&Watch by Nintendo

So before 2005, I was buying mostly Game/Cartoon merchandises, cute Japanese plushes and gashapons (capsule toys) that are fun, weird and mass produced for stress-free collecting. You didn't have to keep all the large boxes, cart-jacked by flipping flippers or remortgage your house!

The Pikmins' perspectiveRight here waitingNyanko Dim Sum

...... and then it all got a bit out of hand!!!

Capsule Station